If you think twice before going to a dentist, perhaps consider Sedation Dentistry!
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sometimes past bad experiences, or anxiety can cause an individual to not want to go to the dentist. It can also be for people with low pain tolerance. Sedation dentistry was developed to help relieve some of the anxiety and stress felt when going to the dentist. It uses medication to relax the patients so treatments can be done. Most of the time, the patients are awake, their awareness of the situation is lowered.
Sedation dentistry is usually very safe because dentists are often required to have permits to perform sedation. You are monitored during the visit to make sure all goes well. Sometimes you may feel drowsy, have nausea or a headache, but these usually pass quickly. Book an appointment with Smile Park Dental for more details!
Top Reasons People Ask for Sedation Dentistry
- Suppress pain: Tooth removal or installing implants often use sedation to control pain throughout the procedure.
- Control Anxiety: bad experiences at the dentist can cause anxiety in the future. Sedation can take the edge off
- Control Gag reflex: those with sensitive gag reflexes can have a hard time at the dentist. Sedation can limit the reflex.
- Multiple treatments: When more than one procedure is needed, the pain and amount of time in the chair can be hard on a patient. Sedation can allow the patient to relax and not worry about pain while the dentist can get all the work done.
- Quicker work: If the patient has a hard time sitting still, dental work can take longer than needed. Sedation will allow the patient to settle so the work can be done quickly.
Three Types of Sedation
Most patients can hear and respond during sedation. Some can just hear or respond when roused. Sometimes patients don’t even remember the treatment. It depends on the level of sedation.
Laughing Gas: Nitrous oxide can be used for children and adults alike. It is often used for those people who have a fear or phobia of going to the dentist. Nitrous Oxide can be used when you get a cleaning or when you need a root canal (you will still need freezing for a filling.) This gas is known to help people relax while in the chair. A mask is gently placed over your nose and in a few breaths, you will start relaxing. It wears off quickly and has the least risks compared to other types of sedation.
Oral Sedation: This type comes as a pill. You will need someone to drive you home. Sometimes you will need to fast before your procedure. Falling asleep can happen, but you can be woken up if the dentist needs you to move your head. You may have to stay home after the procedure as you will be sleepy, or until the sedation wears off.
IV Sedation: This type of sedation is administered by IV into your arm. It gives you a steady dose of medication, so you will be unconscious for the whole appointment. Your vital signs are monitored to make sure you are breathing well with the oxygen mask. Have someone come to drive you home. You can be sure you are getting quality care while you are sedated.
To get detailed information about Sedation Dentistry Oakville contact Smile Park Dental Today!