Missing teeth can cause more problems than just a lack of confidence. There are many dental procedures that have been developed to help restore smiles and health. One of these procedures is Dental Implants. They have become an option for those who don’t want traditional, removable dentures.
What are Dental Implants?
Implants are a dental solution to replace teeth that are missing. They are artificial teeth that look natural and have the ability to correct and restore smiles as well as improve oral health. Dental implants are surgically attached to the jawbone making the fake teeth secure. By doing this, you can easily replace a tooth and be confident the teeth won’t shift. They give you the security of real teeth.
Who can get Implants?
To get implants, you must have enough healthy, strong jawbone to handle the procedure. There must be enough bone because implants require a frame to be placed on the jawbone. Dental implants fuse with the bone, so it is a permanent procedure. If you do not have enough bone, you may need a bone graft.
There must be enough space in your mouth. Your dentist will have to know if you have a chronic disease, smoke, or have an addiction to alcohol.
Benefits of Dental Implants?
- Dental implants can improve your speech, and allow you to form words more comfortably.
- Implants look and feel like your real teeth, and are made to be comfortable
- Dental implants will help your keep your face and mouth structure, improving your appearance and reducing the chance of future tooth loss.
- Once you have an implant, you will not need dentures. Implants are permanent structures.
- Dental implants can improve overall oral health, and reduce the risk of bone loss.
- Dental implants can last a lifetime if you give them good care.
How do you care for Dental Implants?
You must take care of your dental implants like they are your original teeth. You must still brush and floss. Visits to the dentist are still important for regular checkups because although implants aren’t real teeth and won’t get cavities, the gums still need care. Here are some tips:
- oral rinse twice a day
- floss every day
- brush twice a day every day, making sure to get around and under the implant.
- use “low abrasive” toothpaste
Dental implants can give you a new smile and help you get back to eating the foods you want. If you are wondering if Dental Implants are the right choice for your situation, contact Smile Park Dental today. We can discuss options and find the right one for you.