Wisdom teeth are the last set of molars that usually erupt anytime between 17-20 years old. Sometimes, our jaws are not large enough to accommodate them in our mouths and they become impacted. Other times, the teeth may erupt but due to the angulation or access, they may develop a cavity or an infection. Due to this, your Dentist at Smile Park Dental may recommend to have them removed or extracted. The treatment plan and procedure is specifically designed to your case and discussed with you before the appointment.
What is The Procedure?
- We will first numb the area with local anesthesia. This may be preceded by sedation depending on your treatment plan.
- Once frozen, the teeth area gently removed with specialized instruments designed to reduce inflammation and swelling.
- Resorbable Stitches or sutures are placed to speed the healing.
- A follow up call or appointment is made before you leave the office.
What should I expect after the Extractions?
- After any extraction, you are sent home with verbal and written instructions of what to expect.
- Swelling and inflammation is normal, you may be advised to take Ibuprofen every 6 hours.
- Jaw aches and difficulty in open and closing your mouth is common, cold compresses with a towel help.
- It is highly recommended to avoid smoking, drinking alcohol or using a straw as this may delay healing and cause complications.
If you have more questions about your wisdom teeth, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.